One of the best ways to leverage your spare time in the upcoming year is to learn a new skill.
Just think about the most successful people in the world. Those who consistently succeed are those who are best at learning new skills.
Successful people make the commitment to dedicate their spare time in the pursuit of learning And they stick to their promise of learning.
Why Learning New Things Is Crucial for Happiness
You may have heard that the “brain is like a muscle.” Just like other muscles, you have to exercise the brain by learning new things.
Here is what happens:
- You experience something new.
- The “novelty center” of your brain is activated.
- You get a rush of dopamine.
- Dopamine motivates you to follow through with the new thing.
- You get another rush of dopamine when you finish the activity.
It is no surprise then that research has found dopamine is closely linked to the learning process. In short, learning new things stimulates happiness chemicals brain.
Learning is fundamentally positive for your mental health.